What’s wrong with growing old? (Part 2)




Growing up
I dreaded getting old!

It all stemmed from the idea that getting old meant I would become demented and frail.

At a young age, my grandma told me over and over again that she was old – she was only 50 years old.

Please know, my loving grandma appeared healthy and fit at that time, however, as time progressed she stopped taking proper care of herself. She stopped eating properly and dropped her exercise routine at the local JCC.

Soon after, she unfortunately developed dementia and became very weak. It was difficult for me to witness, as I noticed she began to give up more and more in the following weeks after her diagnosis. It seemed as if she was spending more of her time and energy visiting different doctors and taking a plethora of different medications.

Looking back, I wish she took better care of herself in the process of her medical treatment. As I currently approach that age, I realize that does not have to be my fate. I have made the concrete decision to dedicate myself to self-care and longevity, by taking care of my body no matter the cost.

Healthy Seniors

Fortunately, during my practice I have met a multitude of seniors who are living beyond well. They travel, drive, live independently, and can walk without assistance. One has even hiked the entire Appalachian trail (approximately 2200 miles from Georgia to Maine) and Mt. Kilimanjaro (19,341 feet elevation).  Others power lift (heavier than what you would possibly expect – look out Dwayne Johnson). 

Most importantly they have energy and feel good. That’s my new definition of getting older – energized and fabulous.

I see many folks who will do anything NOT to look old. I realize that’s their choice and I respect it.
I also realize it’s just that…(drum roll please) YOU have the power to choose. The power of choice you have can include: dying your hair, getting Botox or fillers (stay tuned, we will chat about that next week!) or you can select having special elective surgeries (chin, tummy tuck, etc).

On the other hand, you can appreciate that your body is aging and take a common-sense approach to keeping your body healthy and strong naturally.

Not that one way is correct vs. the other. Regardless of what you choose, never underestimate the power of taking care of yourself.

After all, have you ever taken notice of a young person, who lives with stress, smokes and eats bad and they look 20 years older than they actually are?

Contrast that with 50-year-old men and women who look like they haven’t aged a day past 28 because of their healthy lifestyles. Never underestimate the power of eating healthy, getting proper sleep and exercising – it goes a long way.

My Health
Personally, I love that I can exercise, sleep well and eat scrumptious healthy foods – resulting in my aging more gracefully all together. Of course, there are times that my body doesn’t always cooperate, and I don’t always sleep as soundly as I did as a teenager, but I am more in tuned with my needs and am happy to move to the beat of my own drum regardless if they are standard for my age or not.

Play time
When I am at synagogue I like to run around and play with the kids. I love doing cartwheels and hula hooping (of course not during services). I also love to dance (macarena -bring it on). So, while many of the adults are sitting around schmoozing, I’m NOT. Some people have made favorable comments, but either way I am just happy I can still do these things and want to keeping doing them, because they’re fun and make me feel great.

We have only one life, LIVE IT WELL! 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Plug-ins Make YOU Sick and Fat?

How to Relieve Pain Long Term & Naturally

LAUGHTER YOGA with Dr. Tanya Gold, MD