How to Curb YOUR Sweet Tooth


How to Curb YOUR Sweet Tooth

 



 

Happy Holidays!

 

Sugar, sugar, sugar everywhere, especially during the holidays. It can be challenging to stay away. “Come on, it’s only one more piece of cake. It’s the holidays enjoy yourself.” The problem with that mentality is that you make the behavior ok, and you teach yourself to settle for mediocrity.

 

Now I know you’re much better than that. My coaches teach me to always strive for excellence. And whatever we struggle with, we can learn from and grow to make better choices. Practice helps. So today in this blog I will explain why we crave sugar, but more importantly what we can do about it to be successful with determination and practice.

 

Processed Sugar is a drug. Research shows it can be more addictive than even some illegal drugs. To boot, it tastes good and when you succumb, you may consume much more than you bargain for… mainly because we may not even realize how much is in the food (or beverage) we are eating or drinking, or we go unconscious when we’re eating or drinking. Have you ever wondered how the heck did I finish all that ice cream or bag of cookies or chips, donuts, cake, pie etc.? How the heck did I eat all that food on Thanksgiving? How did I even make room for dessert when I wasn’t even hungry, and I was so stuffed? 

It’s the narrative we play in our heads. For me I’ve practiced over and over seeing myself feeling full and stepping away from the dessert table; seeing myself either not eating dessert or if I do want some, take a bite rather than eating or consuming the whole thing. I usually share my dessert with my husband.

 

Another option is not stuffing your face, going for a nice walk in the morning and mindfully planning a nice healthy dessert or eating something you want, but just not eating it in large quantities, to make you sick. It’s honestly planning mindfully, eating mindfully, and having a plan for afterwards, if you want to go back (how do you stop yourself?) I do ask my husband to keep tabs on me. It may surprise some of you who know me, but I do love sugar too.

 

If you know yourself, that once you take a bite and can’t stop, become mindful and smart enough not to even start. Get professional help if you need it. Just like anyone with any addiction, we know that the first drink or first cigarette can trigger the whole unsavory process, the same with one sugary taste. As sugar is a drug, it stimulates the feel-good pleasure sites in the brain which release dopamine and serotonin, They can act like natural antidepressants, making you feel good and wanting more.

 

 

 

 


Check out, “wow I didn’t know how much sugar was in that” ketchup, salad dressings, pasta sauce, barbecue sauce, gummy vitamins etc https://www.infogrades.com/health-infographics/sugar-content-of-foods-chart/

What to do

First, take 3 slow deep breaths while sitting up straight or stand tall (gazing towards the horizon). Smile and say with conviction and belief, “I can do this! I’m in control of what I eat and drink. I’m in control of what I eat and drink. It’s up to me. I get to choose what I DO, NOT someone else. I am in control of my own body and mind. No matter what anyone else says, I can do this. I believe in myself, and I am worthy and deserving of this. I WANT to do this. I NEED to do this for BETTER HEALTH AND I CAN DO THIS!!!

Now the real work begins. You must PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Like anything we learn in black belt leadership training (and in life) you must practice to get better. 

 

Create your vision board. See yourself achieving your goal. If sugar is an addiction for you, see yourself eating less of it. A good way to practice is go out with a friend for a meal or coffee (you can keep it short) and not eat anything, just drink some water or just spend time with them. 

 

Realizing that you can still have a good time and enjoy yourself without eating. Also recognizing food’s primary role is for nourishment. Prior to this event, plan ahead and make sure to eat something, so you’re not hungry. Don’t make a big deal about it, practice just enjoying the time spent with your friend or family member. You don’t even need to explain yourself (they may not even notice). You can say “I ate earlier. I want to spend time with you.” I did this, and it taught me I am in control, and there’s no need to eat out of obligation, boredom or pass time. And I can still have a good time without food.

Since sugar as I mentioned earlier is everywhere, having healthy substitutions also helps. Again, I’m not suggesting you deny yourself of all sugary foods. I’m merely saying that you have a choice, and that you can choose better foods that are healthy for your body and give you the same pleasure, without suffering for it, or having major problems down the road. Can most of the time you eat more nourishing food?

 

Healthier sugar substitutions: 


Whole fruit 

Monk fruit

Dates/figs/raisins

Raw local honey (small amounts, can help soothe a cough, not for children under 1 years old)

I also like to carry Larabars (only 2 ingredients dates and cashews.)

 

***A good rule of thumb: Less is Best***

 

Nuts and seeds are a nice choice for snacks. The protein and fiber help maintain blood sugar. In addition, when added to food, it helps slow the rise in blood sugar. One of my favorite flavors of ice cream is pistachio, because of the nuts.

 

Nutritious Desserts:

Frozen bananas and grapes

For ice cream I like coconut bliss and make my version of ice cream from only frozen bananas (choose your favorite fruit).

For popsicles I use whole fruit.

**For ice cream and popsicles, you can sneak in some vegetables. I use cabbage and spinach.

There is a supplement called GYMNEMA, which helps with sugar cravings. It makes processed sweets taste bad.

 

What sugar does

 

*Impairs the immune system

*Contributes to joint pain and stiffness

*Associated with an increased risk of certain cancers

*Linked to dementia (including Alzheimer’s disease), heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, chronic inflammation

*Advances aging (including premature wrinkles, sagging of skin and acne)

*Damages blood vessels


Unhealthy sugar  (coming from processed sources)

*Candy/pies/cookies/cakes/ice cream, donuts, gummies

*Sodas

*Mac-n-cheese

*Bread

*Pasta/noodles/rice

 

Reducing sugar is a challenge, But I do believe knowledge is power, when it’s combined with action. Just like what we learn in life from our great leaders, to “never give up” and keep practicing, doing this repeatedly many times over, WE WILL GET BETTER.

Now repeat after me “STEP AWAY FROM THE DESSERT TABLE”. 😉Again “STEP AWAY FROM THE DESSERT TABLE”. It gets easier with practice! Now of course “JUST DO IT!!” I believe in YOU! Believe in YOURSELF!

      With warmest wishes, Dr. Gold

 

 

      Bibliography:

 

https://www.vtfc.com/insights/blog/this-just-in-over-consumption-of-sugar-contributes-to-muscle-joint-pain/ https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-sweet-danger-of-sugar

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20620757/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-that-cause-acne#:~:text=One%20study%20found%20that%20people,blood%20sugar%20and%20insulin%20levels.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/what-is-stroke/are-you-at-risk-of-stroke/diabetes#:~:text=This%20is%20because%20having%20too,brain%20and%20cause%20a%20stroke.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/18-surprising-foods-high-in-sugar#3.-Ketchup

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ik=c871755df9&view=pt&search=all&permthid=thread-f%3A1717699151747123446&simpl=msg-f%3A17176991517              

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Plug-ins Make YOU Sick and Fat?

How to Relieve Pain Long Term & Naturally

LAUGHTER YOGA with Dr. Tanya Gold, MD